This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Cooking 101 with Luz and Doci

Once upon a time, after being here in the Makarios house for a week, I attempted to make scrambled eggs for breakfast. There was no need for cautiousness or concern, as I have frequently made eggs in the states, with no problems. Well, apparently the egg shells here are quite a bit thinner... The first egg I cracked shattered right in my hand and the egg slid through my fingers, onto the counter, then off the counter and onto the floor! Oops! SO, with the next egg, I tapped it more gently on the counter, hoping for better results. But, NO! Again, it shattered, ran through my fingers, onto the counter, and onto the floor - only this time, our "House Helper", Doci, saw it all happen! She quickly helped me wipe the egg goo off the counter, off the side of the counter, and off the floor. Then, with a smile on her face, she demonstrated for me the correct way to crack the egg. Apparently, you need to cradle it in your hand and gently tap it one time with the side of a fork. This opens it enough to then gently pull it appart. Hmmm... So, 3 days later, I again attempted to make eggs for breakfast. This time both "House Helpers", Luz and Doci, stood an arm's length away as I cracked an entire dozen of eggs. It took a few minutes, as this time I was extremely cautious - feeling the pressure of spectators and everything! :) I'm glad to report, every egg was cracked successfully, without any escaping onto the floor! At the end, the 3 of us all cheered and laughed! :) Good times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home