This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Thursday, August 23, 2007

The New Guy...

Hola

At 2:35 PM August 20th, my plane landed in the tiny airport in Puerto Plata, my new home for the next year. Awaiting outside with open arms were hundreds of taxi cab drivers waiting to sweep me and my money away. However, Makarios was sweet enough to come pick me up in a rundown jeep.
I arrived at my new dwelling place, a two story duplex. Since I am the only guy staffer, I get one whole duplex to myself. The place is nice and its located in a real safe neighborhood (Dont worry Mom). I met two of the girls I will be working with: Camille and Robin along with two guy interns who are leaving in a few weeks. They are solid people and I will enjoy doing ministry along with them. Instead of writing a novel to yall here are the highlights of my last few days in list form...yeah I love lists:

1. there are a billion mopeds
2. I witnessed a fight which consisted of plastic chair throwing and slashing tires
3. The population includes: chickens, mangy dogs, and pathetic looking horses
4. Got my hair braided.
5. little naked Haitian babies jumped on me
6. I became a horse for local village kids
7. Saw a witchdoctor's house and church a few houses down from eachother
8. Fell in love with all the beautiful foreign women
9. Sweated a ton
10. Learned how to drive stick

I am truly blessed to be here. I can already see where I will need God to aid me. So....here is a list of prayer requests:

1. Become fluent in Spanish
2. Acclimate to the heat.
3. Flourish in fellowship...even when I am the only guy
4. Strength and patience in dealing with ill behaved kids
5. Keep focused on why I am here
6. Not get homesick...I love my family and friends to death
7. Dont get sick!!!!!
8. Remember kids names....there are tons of them
9. Find a Dominican wife....just kidding....but seriously...
10. Continue to learn and grow in my walk with Christ.

Thanks for yall's prayers and financial support....I will keep yall updated monthly...so get ready for stories of adventure, love, heartache, and victory. My mom doesnt want me to do anything dangerous down here....but why not learn from my mistakes right? ha.

Missing you,

Weston Armstrong Woodward

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

I'm praying for you Weston. I'll see you in a week.

11:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home