This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Monday, March 20, 2006

Back Again


Well, I am back again and I thought I would share a bit. It was great to be back in the DR being with the kids I missed so dearly. I had missed Bernito's laugh and Maria Isabel's smile. Now, I will not only miss those kids, but Telicia, Yelifat, Malena, Nana and Papucho as well, among many others whose names wont come to mind. I feel blessed to have participated in a trip that was supposed to help others but has changed my life also. Last year's trip was a complete spiritual awakening in my life that helped me decide on a life of ministry (church and missions). I will never forget holding those kids and hearing their laughs for as long as I live. I was trying to think of a fun story to share, but I am having a very difficult time coming up with a "best" - so I will try for one of my favorites. Last year after connecting with Bernito, I couldn't wait to see him again. This year, when I saw him, I gave him a picture of me and him from last year. When he saw it, he got the biggest smile on his face and held it close. I helped him take it to his mom and she was so happy to receive such a thing. It continues to amaze me how simple things like photos, painting nails, reading books and beanie babies can make those kids' day. Sharla, thanks for all you do to make these trips possible (and Hook 'Em by the way). All Makarios workers, thanks for all you do in making this organization work. I know that God will bless your work. Brian and Bethany: I will miss you guys! Y'all are an incredible couple and I so admire your heart for God and for others. I will be praying for the emotional struggles you face each day and for the kids you work with. I know it is hard sometimes, but I know that God will bless you. I hope to see you again soon. Anyone reading this who has never been down to the DR must go - it will change your life. Again, thanks so much. Y'all (yes I am from Texas) are in my prayers.
*Picture (left to right): Lauren/Lola, Christine, Bernito, his brother Yelifat (not sure on spelling)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home