This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Monday, March 05, 2007

I have a crush on the DR


update from Keith Ries, Makarios volunteer

I have been here in the DR for over three weeks and I have fallen in love with so many aspects of this place. The love of the kids, the beauty of God's creation, and the fellowship with coworkers who I can and cannot speak to is truly God's work.

I would have to say the one major thing that I have learned and am continuing to learn deals with simplicity. As I have been reading and living life here in the DR I keep seeing how God is teaching me to live a simple life that is focused on him and nothing more. I have learned that I do not need anything of this world to live a life glorifying to God. As long as Ihave God in my life he will direct, teach, and challenge me. I don't need a tv, a cell phone, and many daily things we use in America. I eat rice and beans and many different things that is grown right in my back yard. That is all I need and that is truly satisfying.

I have no idea what is going on in the world of sports, movies, and so many other things that we get caught up within America and it has allowed myself to live a simple life. As I am now nearing the close of my trip my heart's desire is to hold on to this simple lifestyle for this is where I have found myself growing closer to God. As we increase the amount of stuff within our day it begins to redirect our focus which is not towards God.

The DR has opened my eyes to a world of Joy that comes from God and God alone. Seeing the smiles on kids faces who have absolutely nothing and working next to people who I cannot talk to but just smile and see joy in their heart is something I cannot explain. Life here is so simple and God is truly moving and changing lives all the time. I like the DR a lot and may have a little crush on it.

In Christ,
Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home