This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Highs and Lows

Fifteen things I will miss...
1) Having a little hand in mine at all times
2) Conversations in Spanish and actually getting the jokes
3) Taking time one on one to care for a child and calling them by name
4) Walking miles a day between public, school, pharmacy, hospitals and exercise
5) God honoring times in prayer and study with each other
6) Talking and walking all over the DR with Kara
7) Laughing, dancing, singing at any given point in time with the staff
8) Being needed...even for little simple things
9) Rice, beans and chicken
10 Taking kids with their parents to the doctor and good conversations along the way
11)Friendly people along the walks
12)Cows, horses, chickens, dogs, and cats in every street
13)The people I share life with
14)Seeing the cycle of poverty slowly but surely change due to believers being faithful
15)Children running to me down the street with arms wide open yelling "Laura!"
Bonus thing: Spending time at Cabarete, eating great food and making friends with the locals

Ten things I will not miss...
1) Never, ever looking like I care about myself...hair a hot mess and heat edema
2) Feeling dirty all the time
3) Sweating the second you wake up to the second you fall asleep
4) Taking a shower and 2 minutes later having black feet
5) Not having a microwave
6) Not being able to drive, although I'd be scared to drive here anyway
7) Flying cockroaches that attack
8) Ginormous spiders that stare at you and then run faster than anything you've ever seen
9) Waking up with new bites every morning from who knows what
10)Not being able to put toilet paper in the toilet...and never flushing until truly needed

My time here has been one of the best things I have ever experienced. No regrets. Even the things that I won't miss, I would gladly put up with for another month if I were able. Those things were actually hard to come up with...until I remembered all the insects. You learn to adapt, but it doesn't make it easy.

It's so hard to leave, but I take comfort in the fact that there is a strong staff that God has put in place, He is working, and I am planning to return for a bit in November in between nursing assignments if I do this whole travel nursing thing. Who knows, maybe I'll end up in Austin for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home