This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Sunday, February 27, 2005

I have some more pictures

posted by will

Well, it's Sunday afternoon and I am going to be right on time getting this blog done. Month #1 has gone by quickly. The group from NY was fun. There were I think 4 different people at church today with NYC t-shirts. I didn't get sunburned either. I got my banana boat 30, so I'm ready for anything. The group got into Santiago early Sat. and so I went up to the N. Coast with them. We spent the week doing educational activities in the villages and working on a baseball field in the village of Severet. Brian probably already told you that in his blog. If you want to see some pictures of the trip, I put the ones that I took on www.msnusers.com/willspictures. They will be right at the end of all the pictures that I have taken. Click on pictures when the page comes up. We drank some coconut water in Severet. It tastes like weed juice to me. Today I played bass at Shelly and Guille's church here in Santiago. There is a picture of it on the picture page, it is called Iglesia Biblica de Dios. Shelly runs the preschool that I have been helping out at. Anyway, this was the first sunday morning service that I have played, and it was fun. Dominicans like a lot of drums and noise makers, and they like everything really loud. And it doesn't really bother them if something is out of tune. It's pretty crazy. After church we all went over to someone's house in Las Palomas to have lunch. I love rice and beans. Almost the entire church rode in the Gua Gua, which is a small 12 passenger van. I think there were 25 of us in it. We stayed there all afternoon and played guitars and dominoes. I was eliminated from dominoes after just a few rounds. I am still trying to figure out why we have to slap the board and mess up the rows when we put the dominoes down. It has been a lot of fun getting to know all the people from the church. I had a great time.
The water was out almost the whole time that the group was here. That makes for some sweet dreams. We were pretty dirty. Dominicans do everything with machetes. The most back breaking job of all that they do with them though is grass mowing. We cleared most of the field with machetes. So Plax is really leaving us. I wonder if we will draft a wide reciever as a high pick. The beachside villa is back from the dead! I am going to make a kitchen table for it this week. If I can get wood with Guille, I am going to get as much stuff as possible done this week and not work at the preschool. Going to the lumberyard down here is extremely time consuming. It usually takes at least 2-3 hours to get something that resembles what you want.

To the NY group, I really had a good time with you guys, enjoy the snow, and don't work too hard with a hoe.

Wilson

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a fun treat for kid site/blog. It pretty much covers fun treat for kidrelated stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time-Lots of Useful Unique ideas and information! :-)

10:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home