This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Friday, April 22, 2005

Home again, home again, jiggidy jig

posted by tall white boy in a foreign land

Well, this is it. I can't believe that I just took my last dominican shower. It was a dousie too, when there isn't any sun shining on the cistern on the roof the water stays really cold. It was freezing. On Brian's advice, I went to the young life camp last weekend out on the very tip of the Samana Peninsula. We hiked out to a pretty much deserted beach that was surrounded by really high cliffs. There were coconut trees everywhere. I pigged on coconuts. The only problem is that white boys don't climb straight trees, so I had to knock the coconuts out of the trees with sticks and bamboo, which was really hard. The snorkeling was amazing too. I found a really nice big conch shell while snorkeling but I discovered later that it had a hermit crab living in it, and I couldn't get him out. And thursday I took the bus to the colonial city down in Santo Domingo. It is where columbus landed. It was really neat and I took a lot of pictures. www.msnusers.com/willspictures The coolest thing was the big fort that they built right near the ozama river mouth and the carribean sea. My dumb tourist manuver for the day was that I paid to get into this little kiddy museum that I thought was where Trujillo's weapon collection was. The people kept giving me funny looks but it wasn't untill after the cartoon movie when the guide asked me if I would like to ride the little yellow earthquake simulator that I realized that something was very wrong. When I started asking about weapons and things for killing he started getting confused too. He finally took me back out and I had to explain to the people what I had done and that I wanted a refund while they stood around and laughed. It was one of those "wow, I'm glad I will never have to see those people again in my life" moments. Dumb gringo.

Of all the bad spanish that I have learned down here, here are my 2 favorite words
Chupy chupy: straw Guacala: disgusting
I still can barely understand these people. They're crazy.

Well, it's been a good trip, thankyou Sharla for making it possible and to The Rea's for your hospitality and everything you do. To any prospective interns, the guinea pig intern made it through, so it must be safe. The hardest is probably yet to come though, my dad tells me that they have me lined up to preach the revival this week. Gosh, I hope I don't have to do a whole service by myself. Pray hard...

So it's back to hillbillyville for me, thanks for a really cool semester of high school,

Will

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home