This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Monday, September 17, 2007

The First Day of SKool

Pues, Pues, Pues. I spent my first day off right: spent some quality time with the Throne. Today marked my one month anniversary of being here in the DR soooo....the island gave me a present aka Montezuma's Revenge, Delhi Belly, or as I call it The Dominican Drop. What a great gift right? If I lived in the States, I would stay at home all day near my Bano. However, I am a missionary teacher and we do not have substitute teachers in place yet. Therefore, I prayed to God for mercy on my soul and took off with the other staff to where the school is located, Montellano. Now, our vehicle, The Gua-Gua, sits about 11 comfortably....so it also doubles as a school bus. This entailed our fearless commander, Sharla, to drop us off on the side of the road near one of the villages, Chichigua, where we pick kids up. Thats right. The teachers got three Motos (rundown mopeds) to take us to Pancho Mateo, another village next to Montellano. Are you still with me? hah. The motos were friendly but still charged us 50 pesos a piece (little over a dollar). When we arrived at Pancho we encountered some kids eager to learn. Here comes the tricky part: take 30 something kids across a river while they are wearing nice clothes and shoes. My official job title is P.E. Teacher....BUT my unofficial titles consists of:

House Dad (the only guy besides Los Tweems)
Heavy lifter dude
Caballito (thats what the kids call me...it means horse...cuz they ride on my back)
River Guide

The last name came into play today. In which, I along with the other staff present, got in the middle of the not clean river water and carried kids to safe dry ground.

This event was repeated 6 times during the course of the day.

Here was the rest of my schedule for the day:

830-10Am: attempted to learn kids names and drew many pictures on the ground with chalk

10-1030Am: took Pancho kids back across river, successfully pegged the smallest girl with my flip flop straight in the face, and picked up the Preschool kids

1030-130Pm: told kids to be quiet, come back, go. Also, hugged crying kids, watched a kid pee literally all over the bathroom walls, sink, floor, himself, and almost me BUT never actually in the toilet, showed kids how to kick a ball (they already knew how...duh they are Dominican)

130-2Pm: Crossed the river...yadada

2-330Pm: Managed to make it through the day...laughed a ton at kids doing ridiculous stuff

All in all...the day was tiring but awesome...oh yeah...and The Dominican Drop did not own me at all during the school day...I win for now.

Day one over....day two.....I dont have a clue what I am gonna do.....BUT stay alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home