This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I think I may have a parasite!





My walk across the river in Pancho Mateo this morning turned out to be quite the experience. Everything started out fine. The mud was especially gross this morning due to last night's rain but otherwise manageable. As we were walking back the before-school classes a small cloud seemed to form directly over my head. Doom was pending. The first child I carried across the river made it to the other side safely (ie dry). The second child, however, did not. When the twelve-year-old girl jumped onto my back I knew the truck across was going to be difficult. Her feet were inches away from the water, and I was bent over in an old man position to keep them from getting any closer. Victory was so close. We only had a few steps left when tragedy stuck. Suddenly, the child next to me fell into the river and emerged soaked with toxic Pancho water. My head turned to look at the commotion and my right foot came out from under me. Within seconds the girl I was carrying, as well as myself, were in the toxic river and soaked. The children started chanting, "Gringa! Gringa!" A few of them circled around me to help me up and tried squeezing the parasite infested waters from my skirt. The next three hours were awful as I walked around in wet, sick, toxic clothes. I immediately detoxified myself when I arrived home and had a huge laugh at dinner over the story. Oh disgusting Pancho Mateo river, how I loathe thee!

1 Comments:

Blogger beckyg said...

Yuck Elizabeth...

Greater is He that is in you...than he that is in the world...of yuck, stinky, nasty, germy water!

How are you feeling?

beckyg

4:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home