This is a journal made by those who work for or work with Makarios. We invite anyone who has been involved with our work to post thoughts and stories. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.makariosinternational.org

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fake Coffee

Hi Makarios Blog Land! I've been living here for almost three months with nothing written on the blog. I am so sorry. For those who have no idea who this is, my name is Kate. I'm a teacher here and I'm also very nice.

I wanted to share my favorite thing from class last week. My morning kids and I were sitting in the corner for story time, when I had a craving for coffee and voiced it to the kiddos. Then I just felt like taking a few minutes to be silly, so before the story started, we pretended to make coffee for everyone. They all handed me their mugs and passed around the cream and sugar (so so cute). The best part, I think, was when they were ALL silent while the fake coffee brewed. They just sat around grinning and waiting for the coffee to be ready. We smelled it and listened for the drip of the coffee machine. Then they waited for me to pour it--watch out it's hot! THEN, we blew off the steam and drank. Oh it was so sweet. I'm told and have seen that kids in our villages are rarely creative. They're not really taught to think. So I considered these few moments priceless. It was fun to do something different and silly--especially fun to see their faces. I think we'll have coffee break from now on and work on those imaginations!

It's not a big deal. But it was sweet. More to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home